Silver Birch of Kokomo in Kokomo, Indiana, recently achieved the National Green Building Standard (NGBS) Bronze Certification! This project is a four-story residential care facility featuring 119 apartment units of affordable housing for seniors, and is focused on providing a healthy living community that supports wellness for all residents.
For a home or building to attain NGBS status it must comply with six general categories of green building practices: energy efficiency, water efficiency, resource efficiency, lot development, operation & maintenance, and indoor environmental quality. Key green features at Silver Birch of Kokomo include:
- Neighborhood amenities within walking distance and access to downtown via walking paths
- Outdoor landscaped on-site walking paths
- Integration with the City’s Wildcat Creek revitalization project, and access to nature via views of the creek
- Native landscape plantings
- Energy Star rated appliances
- Energy efficient LED lighting throughout the building
- Durable, long-lasting, low maintenance materials
- Panelized wall-systems to reduce construction waste
- High-reflectance roofing to reduce solar heat gain and the effects of urban heat-islands
- Energy Star certified windows
- Water-conserving plumbing fixtures
- Low VOC interior paints, sealants, carpets, and adhesives
WJW is proud to have been a team member on this healthy and sustainable project!